Reptile Keepers at Chessington World of Adventures Resort have successfully bred the critically endangered Black Eyed Tree Frog thanks to the stormy British Summer weather!
5,217 miles from their natural environment, the Frogs reside at Chessington as a part of a specialist captive breeding programme due to their critically endangered status. In 2004, it was declared that in order for the frogs to survive potential extinction a global effort and captive breeding programme was required.
After a lengthy project, the Reptile Team at the Resort found success after 2 years of attempts with a spawn of 191 eggs during stormy weather in which the frogs bred. An automated, filtered water misting system was set to go off at intervals during a period of high bio-metric pressure prior to a thunderstorm in the UK. Previous attempts had shown that the filtered water system was essential, but what was missing was the replication of the stormy tropics to aid in the breeding process.
From an initial spawn of 191 eggs, 113 Black Eyed Tree Frogs have been moved to new enclosures.
Leanne Thompson, Reptile Keeper at Chessington said “We are over the moon at this breeding success. The morning we found the spawned eggs we all jumped for joy. We’re very proud at the work that has gone into this successful breeding, and that we are one step closer to saving the Black Eyed Tree Frog population from extinction”.
These frogs are already scheduled to move on to other zoological institutions to continue this successful breeding programme.
Notes to Editors
- High Resolution images of the Black Eyed Tree Frogs and Chessington World of Adventures Resort are available to download free of charge from www.chessington.com/press
- Twitter: @CWOA
- Instagram: @chessingtonworldofadventures
- Google+: google.com/+chessington
- Discover the perfect family getaway at the Chessington Safari Hotel and Chessington Azteca Hotel, where you can enjoy themed rooms, an indoor swimming pool, spa and Savannah Splash pool and two fantastic themed restaurants.
- For 12 months unlimited access to Chessington and/or Merlin’s other UK attractions see our range of annual passes at Merlin Annual Pass
- The Zoo at Chessington World of Adventures is a member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA). BIAZA represents its member collections and promotes the values of good zoos and aquariums.
- MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS plc is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment. Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 109 attractions, 12 hotels/4 holiday villages in 23 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its almost 63 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and 26,000 employees (peak season).
- Among Merlin’s attractions are - SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, The London Eye, Dungeons, Gardaland, LEGOLAND Discovery Centres, Alton Towers Resort, Warwick Castle, THORPE PARK Resort, Blackpool Tower, Heide Park Resort, Sydney Tower Eye and SKYWALK. All brands which are distinctive, challenging and innovative – and which have great potential for growth in the future. Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.