To celebrate the legacy of Bubbleworks, Chessington World of Adventures Resort announced its tribute to the iconic attraction by holding a charity auction of its most iconic props and raised over £14,000 – a fantastic amount for charity.
The top five highest bidding items included:
All proceeds from the auction will be donated to Merlin's own charity - Merlin's Magic Wand. The worldwide charity for children arranges magical days out for seriously ill, disabled and disadvantaged children. Please see www.merlinsmagicwand.org for more information.
Chessington also subsequently held a farewell party for the ride's chief enthusiasts whereby Professor Burp himself was about to celebrate the ride's memories, as he did one last lap of his factory, before switching off the operating system for good.
Head of Emilia Montali at the Resort, says, "Bubbleworks played a significant part of a lot of people's childhood memories – with several generations enjoying lots of bubbly fun together over the decades. Although we are all sad to see it go, the lucky bidders of the ride auction are now able to cherish a piece of the historic ride, with the knowledge that their generous donations will be contributing towards a worthy charity."
The foamy, family-friendly ride first opened in 1990 and has entertained millions of adults and children alike, with its magical animated scenes and fantastical fountain finale. Since being open to adventurers for the last 26 years, the ride has completed over 15 million circuits and has welcomed over 32 million people aboard its bobbing bathtubs. Professor Burp and his little factory helpers have ensured that all guests get thoroughly soaked on the ride and are left laughing all the way round. Over the years, there have been some quirky lost property items that have gone overboard on the ride, including a wig, a bag of socks and even an unopened bottle of ketchup!
With over 40 rides and attractions in 10 themed lands, a Zoo and SEA LIFE centre with over 1000 animals, Chessington offers a world of excitement for the whole family. Find out more about all of the adventures available at the Resort by visiting our website: www.chessington.com
Notes to Editors
· The full theme park will be open on selected days from Friday 18th March – Monday 31st October 2016, please check the website for availability. For more information on opening times and to book tickets please visit www.chessington.com<http://www.chessington.com>
· Discover the perfect family get away at the Chessington Resort Hotels - Safari Hotel and Azteca Hotel - where you can enjoy themed rooms, an indoor swimming pool, spa and Savannah Splash pool and two fantastic themed restaurants. Or for the ultimate outdoor accommodation experience try our Explorer Glamping – brand new for 2016! For more information please visit http://www.chessington.com/glamping
· For 12 months unlimited access to Chessington and/or Merlin’s other UK attractions see our range of annual passes at Merlin Annual Pass<http://www.chessington.com/tickets/annual-passes.aspx>
· The Zoo at Chessington World of Adventures is a member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA). BIAZA represents its member collections and promotes the values of good zoos and aquariums.
· MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS plc is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment. Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 111 attractions, 12 hotels/4 holiday villages in 23 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its almost 63 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and c26,000 employees (peak season).